Hooray for yoga! Yoga for life!
I'm subscribed to Yoga Journal's "Daily Insights". Today I read an article saying how through yoga you become more conscious of your emotions and how you are feeling and that yogis typically will rate higher on the happiness scale than non-yogis. They talk about the biological component of happiness and that "people who report high rates of happy feelings have a larger and more active left prefrontal cortex than their depressed counterparts".
"Whether we use yoga or some other self-affirming behavior, it's clear that even born-to-be-negative types can choose to cultivate happiness. Just as a bad mood can become a bad habit that perpetuates unhappiness, so can nurturing positive feelings lead to a more permanent positive state of mind."
So unroll your mats everyone! Yoga is the cure for everything! I started because of the physical aspect, I soon moved beyond that, and now every day I realize there is so much more. I have learned so much about myself and I have become much more aware of my thoughts and feelings and my reactions to the things that happen in my everyday life. When I'm walking home from a great practice, or rolling up and putting my mat away at home I feel perfectly content and at peace. My mood is more balanced and it's almost as though I see the world through different eyes. The goal now is to feel that way all the time, not just in the hours following practice. All it takes is practice, practice, practice... dedication and patience. Love yourself!
For those of you who are interested, click here for the article. And have a happy day!


1 Comments:
Great post Jen. I liked how you used the term 'cultivate happiness'. I've personally experienced how myself and other people have tried to break the habits that don't lead to positive thinking and outcomes. It's so easy to worry and over-think about things, but it does little to solve them. Staying happy is not easy though. It requires discipline and practice that we can only learn in time.
12:56 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home