I love grocery shopping!
I know some people think of it as a chore, but I enjoy it so much! Today I took advantage of the absence of rain on my way home from work and stopped at my favourite shopping block.
I first went into the butcher shop where I got some free range chicken drumsticks to make into a broth to freeze. Then I went to the fish shop and got some salmon for dinner. There were so many good looking types of fish! I might go back tomorrow for some halibut.
Then I went to the produce market. I love browsing in produce markets, I always try to get something new. Today I got some sundried tomato polenta. Have you every cooked polenta? Our fabulous tuna at A Kettle of Fish was served on polenta so I thought I'd give it a try. I also got some feta cheese and some sundried tomato hummous. I found some neat multigrain pitas and beets with the greens still attached! I got all the staples: carrots, onions, potatoes (I like the little red ones) and celery as well as some avocadoes, some basil and some herb salad mix. I also got kiwis, pears, bananas, yogurt and Monterey Jack cheese. Yum. Oh ya, and some soups to bring for lunch at work. Today I chose a fresh carton of organic mushroom and a tetra pack of roasted red pepper tomato.
Tonight I'm going to poach some salmon for dinner, make a beet salad and steam the greens to have on the side. Maybe I'll do the same as the restaurant and serve the salmon on the polenta. We'll see. So much fun! All day at work I think about what I'm going to do after work and today I was excited to do my shopping. My little block has everything I need! I normally stop at the bakery too for bread, but I couldn't possibly have crammed anything else into/onto my scooter.
I've got the beets roasting in the oven right now and the greens in the strainer ready to be rinsed. I think now I'm going to make some brownies for Luke. Every night this week he's been craving something chocolately and has nearly gone through the entire Costco Mega-Pack of chocolate chips. Being at home is so much better than being at work! I've got more to say about that after reading an essay that Luke sent me today (you can read it here: http://paulgraham.com/love.html), but that's a whole separate post. Maybe later tonight when my belly is full of homecooked goodness. :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home