Back from the wet West Coast!
Made it home today at 3pm. We were up early this morning at waved goodbye to Tofino. As we were packing up this was the view from our room.

We arrived to Cabin 10 on Saturday afternoon at about 2. We had been up since about 5:30 so we were feeling incredibly tired and a little out of sorts. Had a soak in the hot tub while listening to the huge waves pound on the beach. Then an evening of Carcassonne, enchiladas and "Ocean's 11". The office had a whole bunch of free movies we were allowed to borrow.
Slept in really late on Sunday morning. So nice to be able to look out the window and stare at the ocean. The view really was beautiful. Went into town for lunch. Found a neat little deli called Breakers. Looked in some shops and then headed back to the cabin after picking up a crab to add to our dinner. Another night of Carcassonne, and tonight we watched "The Bounty". The story of the mutiny on the Bounty as the ship left Tahiti... I think I've seen it before, but I really liked it. Luke made fun of me for picking it. :P We also called a tour company and booked a trip to the nearby hotsprings in their boat. We were "guaranteed" to see whales! Alarms set for 9am!
Got up and headed into town. Stopped at Breakers again to pick up some sandwiches for lunch. Got to the tour office and found out that because of the weather (and 5m waves at sea!) no boats were going out. :( When we got over our disappointment we drove into Ucluelet and spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon driving around and looking at all the beaches and parks. Back to the cabin for another relaxing afternoon. Had some delicious lasagna for dinner while watching "Shallow Hal" (Luke's pick - I think we're even, although it was kind of funny).
We had a really good time. I was plagued by an upset stomach for a couple days, today being no better. I didn't even go to my cooking class tonight, which I am very upset about. :( But we still had a good look around and we can now say we've been to Tofino - thanks for the Christmas present mom and dad! It rained each day we were there, clearing up in the afternoons. Except for today, we woke up as the rain was clearing. Neat to look at the weather and climate... so rainy, but you look at the forests and see the trees and the other plants around - very much like a tropical jungle, minus the tropical. Substitute cedars for palms and ferns for flowers. :)
It was so cool to watch the ocean and see the huge waves. The water was so cold, unbelievably cold. Having the hot tub was sooo nice. Very relaxing to sit in the tub in the rain listening to the waves. We saw surfers from our cabin too! I was disappointed not to see any wildlife, I was really looking forward to that on our boat ride. Next time. It was very cool to see the stormy weather and be inside a warm cabin with a fire. I think we'll definitely need to try Tofino in the summer too... sounds like a good camping trip!


2 Comments:
Sounds like a great time, even with the rain :) Ive only ever made it as far as Port Renfrew for camping :)
9:35 PM
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed your trip :) You deserved a break! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well though.
Sign me up for camping! ;)
9:39 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home