a journal of sorts for the roomates of jebus man.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Why I like the Grouse Grind

Last summer a couple girls from work and I started doing the grind about once a week. We went about two weeks ago when it was still closed and quite snowy at the top, and then again yesterday. Yesterday was great. Beautiful blue sky, warm weather and much less snow. I have a summit seeker pass that you scan at the bottom and then again when you reach the top and it clocks your time. It'll also keep track of how many times you've done the climb and will tell you when you've climbed the equivalent of some of the tallest mountains in the world.

Some people have issues with the grind and scoff when I say I'm doing it. "That's not a REAL hike." I don't really think of it as a hike. Maybe a mini hike. I think of it as a fantastic form of exercise; gets your heart pumping like it's going to beat out of your chest and works your legs and rear end extremely well. It's basically an outdoor stairclimber. There is something about the mountain air that boosts your spirits, the trees and creeks, the view and the grouse with their mating calls encouraging you up the hill.

I hate gyms. I've had numerous memberships over the past 10 years and I've gone regularly, worked through my cardio and weight routines and I can't say that I've ever really enjoyed it. Grunting weight lifters, the sound of people spinning, running, walking around and around and going nowhere, top 40 hits on the radio, sweaty people that don't clean the machines when they're done... I leave feeling like I'm in a daze, a bit of a time warp. For the past few years now I haven't had any memberships, and the exercise I get now works my body and mind so much more than elliptical trainers and weight machines. It works just fine for some people and any exercise is far better than none so I really shouldn't knock it but for me personally it just doesn't cut it.

The grind is so close, yet still far enough away that you can forget the city and the noise. I can do it after work and still be home in time for dinner. It only costs $5 and would be free if you wanted to walk down instead of taking the gondola. Sure, their may be a million people going up at the same time as you, but we all smile and groan together when we realize we're only at the 1/4 or 1/2way mark. And you get a priceless view from the top. I'm so glad it's open again! We started doing it last year in about June or July, so we've got an early start this year. My goal by the end of the hiking season to tackle the Lions. I really want to do an overnight trip too. Anyone up for it? :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to do the Grind with you every week...and it actually fits in my schedule right now! I said last year I wanted to do it this year in preparation for our wedding, and that's finally starting to creep up!

3:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a hiker, personally, but I like walking and it sounds like a neat challenge. Let me know the next time you plan on going (and maybe we can convince Laura to come too).

9:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, I dont enjoy going to gyms! Yah Id love to go with you, sounds like fun :)

11:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home