Insight
I was conditioning my hair in the shower and a lightbulb flashed over my head. Ok, so I've been slightly melancholy this past week, I've been lazy, tired and I've watched a lot of tv. Today was rough (only because of my foul mood) and I came home and had a super long nap. When I woke up the sun had come out and Jebus was being super cute and I finally decided to roll out my mat. I didn't commit to my regular full practice, I decided just to finish when I got tired. I made an intention to focus more and be more aware of when I was distracted. So an hour and a bit later, I'm conditioning my hair in the shower and I realize what a good mood I'm in. I'm using my fancy shampoo and conditioner, the spicy soap and I even shave my legs. What a difference! I was nearly in tears at the drop of a hat before and now everything is great.
So follow me here now as I explain... In ashtanga yoga each asana is linked with a vinyasa. All a vinyasa is, is a short flow of postures that takes you from seated, up and back into plank (inhale), down into push-up (exhale), inhale to upward dog, exhale to downward dog and then inhaling, jumping through back into seated. Heh, now you all know what a vinyasa is. :) A couple of the reasons we do vinyasas are: to increase strength (you use a lot of core muscles for those movements), to generate heat in the body and also to wipe the slate clean between postures. You want to come into each new posture with no expectations, just be in the moment and be aware of how you are feeling right then. So if I lost my balance in the previous posture and stumbled or even just couldn't stretch as deeply as normal, inhale, exhale, inhale... through the vinyasa and I'm back where I'm started, ready to try again. Over and over again, each posture, each side, continously drawing my focus in to what I'm doing. Not thinking about it outright, but just noticing how I'm feeling.
So my parallel here is that just as my vinyasas serve to centre me in my practice, my practice serves to centre me in my daily life. Isn't that fantastic? 101 reasons why everyone should try yoga.... :P
Now just because I'm in a good mood I'm going to use my nice moisturizer and look at the fabulous outfit I've put together. Off to celebrate good old St. Patrick! Actually I really have no idea of the historical significance of St. Patrick's Day. Weird.


1 Comments:
Hi Jen,
This post was really neat to read. I have been practicing yoga since I was 4 years old. Kareen's Yoga came on after the Electric Company (for those of you who don't know that show, it came on after Sesame Street - typical kids' PBS educational programming).
Somehow, I've managed to let yoga leave my life for most of the past 9 years. This post reminded me what an impact yoga has on my overall well-being. I really need it to maintain balance and a happy outlook on life.
I once went to a yoga retreat on the Island. It was a 3-day retreat. I remember one morning we concentrated on forward bends. During the break many of us went back to our rooms and kind of went into ourselves and some of us weren't sure we even felt like going back for the afternoon session. But thank goodness I did - it was backbends, and I've never felt so exhilarated in my life!
Anyway, thanks for another yoga reminder - I think I'll pull out my mat tonight ;)
6:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home