a journal of sorts for the roomates of jebus man.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Welcome Autumn!

I've always thought of the 21st of September as being the first day of fall. A quick check of wikipedia revealed that this year the autumnal equinox falls on the 23rd, but today is close enough.

With the arrival of fall, suddenly I feel like making a big roast chicken dinner with all the fixings... maybe tomorrow night? I love the harvest season and all the golden colours, lots of squash, apples and pears and pumpkin pie - my favourite! All the tasty treats naturally lead to Christmas... something about the weather changing makes a day spent inside baking seem very appealing. After a brief look at the calender I'm going to tentatively say that our Winter Solstice Party this year will be on December 16th. I know it's months away but planning a seasonal party takes away the humdrum low feelings that accompany my least favourite month... November. So putting some energy into planning a joyful party where friends gather to ward off the cold and dark with mulled wine and cider sounds like a great idea to me.

With the arrival of fall I also feel that board game season is back in full swing. Something about playing games in the summer just never felt right, but now it seems different. Settlers of Catan or Carcasonne anyone? Ooh, Mario Party too!

So lots to look forward too... the changing colours of autumn, the leaves falling off the trees (the tree outside our patio in particular provides privacy in the summer months with all the green leaves, and provides extra light once the leaves fall, perfect timing for the darker months), hot drinks and comfort food... the end of the yearly cycle, being thankful for what we have... a chance to reflect on the year behind us and to look forward to it all starting again in the spring! I think I've accepted that summer will always be my favourite season with all of the outdoor activities that I love to do, but without the cold darkness of winter, would summer really be as sweet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home