a journal of sorts for the roomates of jebus man.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Caution: Contents Fragile

I'm feeling overly sensitive today. Looking for meaning in things that hold none. Overanalyzing insignificant events and anxiously looking for approval from those around me. I'm sure all of these things can be attributed to fluctuating hormones but still, knowing that doesn't take the emotions away.

A couple weeks ago was my 2-year anniversary at work. A few days later was a co-worker's 4-year anniversary. Well today a guy at work that I have a hard time being around (my mantra around him is Bambi's mother's message of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"), bought this co-worker a huge personalized ice cream cake with the words "Congratulations on 4 years of service". Our daily schedule today congratulated him as well. I realize he's been here twice as long as me (not even if you count my year of co-op here), and I realize that nobody but me knows my hormonal cycle, but it left me feeling unappreciated and a little lonely.

I'm trying really hard to not let it get to me. I'm having a hard time lately dealing with the Hindu/Buddhist concept of being ego-less. It's really hard. The Bhagavad Gita recommends to avoid giving compliments because they just feed the ego of the receiver. Compliments make people feel good though, and recognition, whether it be professional or personal builds up your self confidence. So how do you let go of that? Not needing or relying on that feedback is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. We do need feedback to grow and learn, but that shouldn't dictate why we do the things we do. We should be confident and comfortable jby our own accord, not needing external gratification. But it feels good to be praised and to be acknowledged. I suppose the process of taming your ego is one that lasts a lifetime. And maybe it has more to do with actions... doing things (acting) without any attachment to the outcome. Non-attachment... another internal, mental battle. Battle implies force though and that seems contrary to the whole concept.

Regardless, I am aware of how I feel today and that I suppose is a start. Awareness. Knowing that I am interacting with the people and things around me and that I can choose how to respond.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linz said...

Jen - I have struggled with this myself. I often felt like "why do I bother" when I did things and then I was politely reminded that I should question why I do them. It has changed things, but I agree that it is a process. I too would feel left out though at work if I was in your shoes. It was in bad taste. You should know that your feelings are your feelings and although you can think them through and try to make sense of them... your gut instinct is exactly that. if something doesn't feel good, it doesn't feel good - you can explore why but you don't have to change it. I support you in this as I feel that we are on the same wavelength here. You are a wonderfully expressive individual and I honour you for that. Good post! Looking forward to another good chat!

5:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* Thank you for sharing such a vulnerable state.

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2 year anniversary went by unnoticed as well...I have also struggled with feeling left out at work, but its slowly getting better. Its a good idea to let go of your ego, but very hard to put into practice. Maybe there's a difference between giving a compliment just to make someone feel better (lying) and giving someone an honest positive thought?

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home