Weekly Foodie Update
Tonight wasn't as spectacular as the other nights but I still feel obliged to update all my loyal readers, anxiously awaiting to hear what magnificent dishes I prepared. We finally hit on some of the few foods I dislike. We started off by making a mushroom terrine. We blanched a bunch of different kinds of mushrooms and layered them in a mini bread pan lined with herb crepes (which we also made). We then added some gelatin to the blanching liquid (chicken stock - now enhanced with mushroom flavour) and poured it in the pan. Now I picture one of those disgusting jello salads with fruit in it which I never liked and now this one has mushrooms? Just kind of turns my stomach, but apparently you eat it more like a pate. We'll see.
We then made a seafood pasta, it was really easy. Mixed seafood mixed in with some tomato sauce. Then we went and ruined it by adding olives and capers. In my humble opinion, olives should only be used to make oil and capers, well, they rank below raisins in baking on my list. Both olives and capers (and raisins in baking) give me a weird cringy feeling in the back of my mouth and the flavour reminds me of food gone off. I managed to pick out most of the olives and tried to ignore the capers.
We finished off tonight with some dessert... chocolate crepes with a mint pastry creme with melted chocolate. That was really good. Got rid of the icky taste in my mouth. Heh.
Next week (the last week) we are on our own. We have been told that we will get a whole pheasant and a whole, live crab. What we do with them is up to us. My group had a bit of a brainstorming session at the end of tonight and we have some pretty good ideas. Tune in next week to hear how it went!


1 Comments:
I'm with you Jen, the idea of a mushroom jello sounds awful! hehe. But the dessert sounds yummy :)
11:07 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home